Sunday, August 17, 2008

You're Invited To a Shower!

Raise your hand if you're chilled by those words. That little card comes in the mail and all I can do is think of a reason not to go. I'm not sure how many of these I've managed to avoid. Probably not enough because I have 'sucker' tattooed on my forehead. I had the perfect excuse for this one until a few months ago. "Oh sorry, I'm going to be out of the country." When that fell through I resorted to "oh sorry, I don't have a car. I won't be able to get there." My mother offered to drive out and get me. She wasn't being helpful. She knew what I was doing and she was determined to foil me.

See, this shower is important. My brother, at 46, is getting married for the first time and he is such the marrying kind. My sister married 17 years ago and I moved in with my husband that same year. We married 6 years later. My brother has been jealous ever since.

When he started dating Sue seriously, we (the family) were very excited. She's a really nice woman and great to him. Better than he deserves. I'm looking forward to the wedding. And the marriage.

But I still hate shower games.

4 comments:

Chelley said...

Well, some games are ok. i like writing down everything she says as she opens gifts and then when you're done, read them to her in the context of what she'll say on her wedding night. But don't tell her that is the plan. the last shower i went to, the bride got wise and didn't say anything. Made it akward.

The Girl You Used to Know said...

I hate shower games too. When I got married and when I had my babies, the games were strictly forbidden. And they all followed along like good little minions.

Dana Belfry said...

Shower games are really annoying but congrats to your bro! WOOT!

Eden Bradley-Eve Berlin said...

Seriously, if you're over 30 and getting married, the only shower games should include doing tequila shots.
But I still lovvvvvvve weddings!